How bird infestation impacts the food processing and manufacturing sectors
Rentokil Initial (M) Sdn Bhd
Pest Control, Pest Control Services, Pest Management
17 September, 2013
Damages caused by birds are often regarded as not prominent or severe compared to the earlier mentioned pests. Managing Director of Rentokil Initial Malaysia, Carol Lam says “Bird infestation in food processing or food-related industries, especially at material storage areas or warehouses, is a serious matter because inadequate control can lead to heavy infestation and possibly serious consequences to consumer health due to contaminated goods. Food industry players also would not want to risk failing their audit or inspection with the presence of birds.”
Julie Na, Senior Technical Manager of Rentokil Malaysia with over 10 years of experience in pest control has identified some of the most common pest bird behaviour in the urban areas of Malaysia:
• Pigeons or some may affectionately regard it as ‘rats of the sky’ carry a wide range of bacteria including Salmonella and Ornithosis.
• Just like pigeons, starlings can also be seen at livestock farms/ factories due to their selective diet on high-protein supplements that are often added to livestock rations.
• Swifts and swallows are home to arthropod parasites such as bird mites and bird bugs.
• Sparrows can also be frequently seen in granary or rice storage areas foraging on these goods. Manufacturers will not only suffer monetary loss on their contaminated goods, but fecal contamination such as bird feathers and droppings.
• Crows are by far the most annoying bird species amongst all where they tend to gather in large number around people, producing squawking and grating sounds that cause noise pollution.
Birds perch at areas such as building roof tops, awnings, fences, ledges and many more. Besides defacing and accelerating the deterioration of building properties, bird uric acid droppings also contain pathogenic fungi, some of which can be harmful or even fatal to humans. Their nesting materials block rain gutters and down-pipes, which results in overflow of water that can lead to timber decay, broken rendering, ruined decorations and even lead to severe structural damages in a long run.
Rentokil Pest Control offers discreet, non-toxic and humane way of dispersing pest bird populations, ranging from bird netting, bird spikes or bird deterrent to bird repellent. For more than 40 years in providing pest control services in Malaysia, we are the experts in taking care of your pest bird worries.
, Pest Control
, Pest Control Services
, Pest Management
, Pest Services